Events, meetings and other key dates can be viewed on the QRA calendar…
QRA MeetingsThe QRA organises an Annual Discussion Meeting, field meetings, workshops and other meetings including a Postgraduate Symposium every year. We very much welcome offers from researchers to run field meetings related to any aspect of Quaternary science in any area of the UK or Europe and workshops and discussion meetings which can be on any Quaternary topic worldwide. We also co-sponsor meetings.
QRA Annual Discussion Meeting (ADM)Annual Discussion Meetings are usually held over 2 to 3 days in early January. They are centred on a key scientific theme and draw national and international interest, with keynote speakers from around the world. In recent years themes have included; The Quaternary of Britain; The Last British Ice Sheet; Isotope and noble gas analysis; The Palaeolithic Occupation of Europe; Land-Ocean Correlation; Constructing Quaternary Chronologies; and Data/model intercomparison in Quaternary research.
Find out more about the next ADM.
QRA Field Meetings, Workshops and Short Discussion Meetings
Field meetings are focused on recent Quaternary findings and discoveries within the UK and Europe. We also help to run, and participate in, meetings abroad. Meetings usually take place over a 2-4 day period, with accommodation and travel being organised by a Field trip leader on behalf of the QRA. We also organise workshops and short discussion meetings. These can be one or more days and can have a flexible format such as a mini-conference, workshop or field day or a combination of these.
QRA Postgraduate SymposiumThe QRA postgraduate community also organises the QRA Postgraduate Symposium. This is usually held annually in early September.
Current field and discussion meetings and information on the next postgraduate symposium
The QRA will also consider co-sponsorship of other meetings that support the aims of the Association and may be of interest and benefit to QRA members. Awards can be used for venue costs, to sponsor keynote speakers, to subsidise registration costs for groups of delegates and to promote the role of the QRA to new audiences. We currently have two deadlines a year for co-sponsorship requests. These are March 1st and September 1st, and awards usually go up to £500. Completed application forms need to be submitted electronically to the QRA Meetings Officer.
In return for sponsorship the QRA requires the following:
- The QRA logo is used on all publicity materials, and the QRA is acknowledged at the event, including display of the QRA logo.
- QRA sponsored speakers display the QRA logo on their title slide at the beginning of their presentation. The QRA logo is available from the QRA Meetings Officer.
- Organisers discuss their event with the QRA Meetings Officer, so that we can help with advertising QRA sponsored events using Quaternary Newsletter, the QRA Website and the QRA membership email alert facility.
- The QRA requires a short report from the conference on the outcomes of the meeting. This must be submitted to the QRA Meetings Officer within 2 months of the meeting.
- The QRA requires a short article reviewing the meeting for publication in Quaternary Newsletter. This must be submitted to the Quaternary Newsletter Editor within 2 months of the meeting.
- The QRA requires a statement of accounts showing how the QRA sponsorship was spent. This must be submitted to the QRA Treasurer within 2 months of the meeting.
- The QRA encourages meeting organisers to consider Journal of Quaternary Science as an outlet for eventual publications.
Outreach Talks & Events
The QRA is committed to encouraging the participation of non-Quaternary specialists in our activities and promoting related talks and events that may be of interest to the wider public. QRA members often present talks on various aspects of Quaternary science to local community groups, schools, universities, and other organisations.